Creamy Chicken Enchiladas


Cheri Clotiaux Stringer (originally from Lake Travis PTA Cookbook)
Yield: 8 enchiladas


     This recipe originally came from a cookbook that the Lake Travis PTA of Austin, Texas produced and was titled “Aunt Jan’s Chicken Enchildadas,” because the submitter, Anita Cokins, got it from her aunt. I wasn’t involved with PTA at the time and don’t have a copy of the cookbook, but this recipe is famous among those who were in PTA and it still survives among all of my friends! 
     These have made many, many appearances at Clotiaux gatherings over the years, the first of which was likely our summer reunion at T-Bar M, as I had prepared and frozen several pans for our big crew. They were an instant hit and I can’t even count how many times I’ve been asked for this recipe over a mouthful. (Dec 1996)

4 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
1 pint whipping cream
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Flour tortillas
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 stick butter
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup green chilies, chopped
1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese



Preheat oven to 350˚F. Sauté onion in butter until transparent. Add green chilies and broth and stir until melted. Add chicken. 

Roll the mixture in flour tortillas and place in a single layer in a greased pan 9x13-inch pan. Pour whipping cream and cheese over all. 

Bake covered for 45 minutes. 

NOTE: This freezes well, just bake after thawing. Also, you can feel a little better about preparing this dish by using low-fat broth and cheeses.