Comment inspiration

We included more in-depth comments on recipes in a cookbook assembled for Stephen's extended family a few years ago, so I've pulled a few of the passages to help inspire all your recipe comments and memories.

"I like to serve this with warm corn or flour tortillas. This freezes well. This has been a traditional Christmas Eve dish along with tamales, beans and pico de gallo."

"These are very addicting so proceed with caution! My grandmother, Annabelle (we call her Middie) makes these at Christmas and they are my absolute favorite! Stephen’s loves ’em now too, of course."

"This recipe has been served at almost every baby shower I have attended in San Antonio. The shower guests just simply stand in front of the table and eat this until it’s all gone. It is fabulous and tastes like something you might order at a restaurant."

"My very best friend and roommate in college, Laura, had a wonderful cook for a mother! Mrs. Jones was always cooking for Laura and me, and I constantly found myself begging for her recipes. Before we graduated from college, Mrs. Jones wrote down all of my favourite recipes for me — her corn dip was one of them. I had never had corn dip before Mrs. Jones introduced it to me, and I have NEVER tasted a corn dip recipe that comes even close to this one! I have not had a more requested recipe in my “adult” years of showers and parties (except, maybe the whiskey pork chops)!"

"This recipe is really good! I used to take this cheese ball to Mama Fay’s Christmas gatherings in Gatesville. It must have been well liked since I never had any left to take home!"

"I made this one Christmas when Mom and Dad came up to Arlington, Daddy really loved it, and said it was as good as medicine to get you over a cold, or for no reason at all. It is pretty potent, but great for a cold Christmas evening! Plus your whole house will smell terrific!"

"Mama Fay was famous for her yeast rolls. She always made them for holidays and special meals. This recipe is as close to what she made as I could find. It was in her cookbook “drawer” on a slip of paper. I really don’t remember her referring to a recipe when she made these, but she always let me help her shape out the rolls. The smell of yeast rolls baking is just like heaven; so this recipe is appropriately named!"

"This is a new recipe for me. I found it in an old magazine with a lovely story about tradition. The lady had been making this bread for Christmas gifts for 20 years, tried to stop, and her friends let her know all the ways this bread had touched their lives. ‘Awww,’ I thought. How good could it be? It’s not good, it’s GREAT! It is lemony and rich, just great with a cup of coffee, glass of milk, or just standing in your kitchen. Try it!"