Cowboy Cookies
Cheri Clotiaux Stringer (originally from various sources)
Kelly Jenkins Howard (originally from Willie Mae Jenkins)
Yield: 5 dozen cookies
2 cups flour
1 cup Crisco
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups oatmeal
2 eggs
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 (3.5oz) cans bakers coconut
1 (12oz) bag semi-sweet chocolate bits
1 cup nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, flour, soda, salt, then vanilla, then stir in coconut and chocolate chips.
Drop by teaspoonful onto a greased sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
Kelly Jenkins Howard (originally from Willie Mae Jenkins)
Yield: 5 dozen cookies
These are wonderful cookies with all my favorite goodies — oatmeal, nuts, coconut and chocolate! Since we first tackled the Clotiaux Family Cookbook, I’ve been doing some research on recipes. Well, I guess I should confess that the research actually consisted of going through old cookbooks. Two I came across were published in the seventies — one by the Rotary Club of St. Martinville, La. and the other by the United Methodist Women of First United Methodist Church in Mexia, Tex. I came across the recipe for Cowboy Cookies in both of the older cookbooks and it piqued my interest because the tenant in our warehouse, the commercial baker, had a product called a Cowboy Cookie, and they were really wonderful. Mom said she didn’t remember this title, but there was a recipe with similar ingredients called Ranger Cookies, that was passed around at Mother’s Club. Since then I have found another similar recipe in a cookbook published by a friend of my sister-in-law’s and they were called Ranger Cookies as well. So here is the recipe for Cowboy Cookies/Ranger Cookies. —Cheri Clotiaux Stringer (Dec 1996)
My dad’s mother, Willie Mae (and my first daughter’s namesake), became known for making these among our family. She was a good cook in my recollection but my dad said she wasn’t until he and his three siblings were grown — probably from a lack of time! I primarily just use this recipe to make great oatmeal cookies, as her version does not include chocolate chips or nuts, and although it does include 2 cups cornflakes and 1 cup grated coconut, I’ve never included them. Just another version of this popular cookie making the rounds in a Texas family! —Kelly Jenkins Howard (Nov 2010)
2 cups flour
1 cup Crisco
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups oatmeal
2 eggs
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 (3.5oz) cans bakers coconut
1 (12oz) bag semi-sweet chocolate bits
1 cup nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, flour, soda, salt, then vanilla, then stir in coconut and chocolate chips.
Drop by teaspoonful onto a greased sheet and bake for 15 minutes.