Dirty Rice

Clarice Clotiaux Crusenberry


This is for a large quantity but Aunt Clarice said to just use twice as much ground meat as the liver/sausage. She never gave any amount on the rice — when I make it, I cook 3 1/2 cups of raw rice, the proportions work out pretty well. —Cheri Clotiaux Stringer (Dec 1996)

I always use extra lean beef and low-fat sausage. I always halve this, whether to eat at home for days or take to an event, where it’s always a hit! I use Tabasco® or Evangeline® hot sauce and the gravy mix with the least unpronounceable ingredients. —Alyson Stringer (Nov 2010)


10 lbs ground meat, browned and drained
5 lbs ground liver or Owens Country sausage, browned and drained
1 whole pod of garlic, chopped
3-4 onions, chopped
3-4 packages Brown Gravy Mix
Cooked rice
Hot pepper sauce and salt to taste



Cook onion and garlic in small amount of grease reserved from cooked meat. Combine remaining ingredients and blend well. Season to taste.