Glazed Amaretto Cake

Cheri Clotiaux Stringer (source unknown)
Yield: 10-12 servings


I love amaretto because of cakes like this! I’d come home from school to a house filled with the heavenly aroma of almonds and orange marmalade and I knew in a few steps I’d behold a beautiful brown cake with a crown of glaze. Sometimes I even got a piece. —Alyson Stringer (Dec 1996)


1 cup butter or margarine
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs (room temperature)
1 tsp each: vanilla, orange and lemon extracts
2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
3 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 cup Amaretto di Saronno 


Cake: Preheat oven to 325˚F. Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs one at a time (beating well after each egg). 

Add sour cream; beat, then add extracts, baking soda and salt. Gradually beat in flour, then add Amaretto and beat well. Pour into greased bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done.

Glaze #1
1 (10oz) jar orange marmalade
1/2 (5oz) jar apricot preserves
1/4 cup Amaretto di Saronno
1 cup chopped toasted almonds 

Combine first 3 ingredients and heat on stove until melted. Drizzle on cool cake, then add chopped almonds as a crown.

Glaze #2
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp orange juice
2 Tbsp Amaretto
1 Tbsp grated orange rind
2 Tbsp additional Amaretto 

Combine first 3 ingredients in saucepan and heat just to boiling. Stir in orange rind and then cool. Gradually stir in 2 Tbsp Amaretto or just enough to make glaze soft enough to drizzle over cake. 

Garnish with twists of orange peel and almonds.