Hummingbird Cake

Clarice Clotiaux Crusenberry
Yield: 10-12 servings


In researching this popular recipe, I found that no one seems to knows its origin, but interestingly, it’s Southern Living’s most requested recipe OF ALL TIME! I also noted that Aunt Clarice’s version has two differences: 1) Southern Living’s version uses only 1 cup oil and 2) our version was missing the 2 tsp pure vanilla extract. I’ve added the extract, as I suspect that it was likely omitted in transcription over the years, but will leave it to your discretion whether to try less oil. I’ve also included the ingredients and instructions for Cream Cheese Frosting, as recommended by Southern Living. —Alyson Stringer (Nov 2010)

I remember this being a very rich, heavy cake, but oh-so delicious! Olin’s sister, Clarice, was famous for it. —Jane Lumpkin Clotiaux (Dec 1996)

3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups butter-flavored vegetable oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 medium or 3 small bananas, chopped
1 (8oz) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup chopped nuts

Cream Cheese Frosting
2 (8oz) pkgs cream cheese
2 sticks butter
1 box powdered sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Cake: Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease and flour a bundt pan or two 9-inch layer pans. Set aside.


Sift together dry ingredients. Add eggs, oil and vanilla. Mix well. Batter will be sticky. Add fruit and stir by hand. Pour into prepared pan. Mix by hand only, all dry ingredients, add eggs and pineapple and mix well. Add bananas and nuts and mix again. 

Bundt Pan: Bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Let cool before turning out.
9-Inch Pans: Bake for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely. 

Frosting: In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar.

NOTE: This cake is similar to the Regal Cream Cheese Cake featured in this collection.