Tomato & Cucumber Salad

Alyson Stringer (originally from Gourmet magazine, 2003)
Yield: 4-6 servings

I started to make this, and then roped Cody into helping me, for a fireworks party in July 2008 and it was a big hit! This is a perfect summer salad with no added sugar and super easy to make (see Note at bottom for quick-prep tips). I did the chopping and Cody put together the dressing. Perfect complement to burgers, grilled chicken, etc., as I hate always resorting to chips. (July 2008)


1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 3/4 lb vine-ripened or plum tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch dice (4 cups)
1 lb seedless cucumber (usually plastic-wrapped), cut into 1/3-inch dice (2 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup fresh curly parsley, finely chopped (from 1 bunch) [I used flat/Italian parsley]
1/4 cups onion, finely chopped (preferably sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla)


Whisk together oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, cumin and pepper in a medium bowl. Add tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and onion and stir to combine. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes before serving.

Note: To make prep go faster, I just quartered cherry tomatoes and quartered the cucumbers length-wise and cubed into 1/4-inch chunks. I chop the onion to a mush in a chopper gadget. I’ve found that this really helps marry all the flavors — works great in potato salads too!