Black Bean Salad


Cheri Clotiaux Stringer (originally from Southern Living)
Yield: 8 servings


I originally tried this out because I wanted something to go with fajitas and it was a winner. I’ve been bringing it to family gatherings for years now and it’s always a hit, especially in the summer. Very flavorful! (Dec 1996)


2 (15oz) cans black beans, drained, rinsed
1 cup tomato, chopped
3/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
2/3 cup green onions, sliced
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 Tbsp lemon rind, optional
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 (.7oz) envelope Italian salad dressing mix
3/4 cup water
1/4 tsp ground cayenne/red pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil



Combine first 8 ingredients, set aside. 

Combine dressing mix and remaining ingredients in a jar. Cover tightly and shake vigorously. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently. 

Cover and chill. Toss gently before serving.

Tip: I omit the lemon rind — seems to mask the other flavors. Might try cutting the rind measurement in half.

Per 3/4 cup serving: 140 calories