Candied Sweet Potatoes
Faith Frazier Clotiaux (originally from Myrhl East Frazier)
Yield: 6 servings
I got this from my mom Myrhl and it quickly became a new standard at the Clotiaux Thanksgivings and Christmas dinners. I make it for church socials in the fall as well. Everyone seems to love this recipe. I use to make this each year for the boy next door’s birthday — I would make him his own pan because he loved it so much! It’s so sweet, it could easily be a dessert. (Dec 1996)
3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked, mashed
1 1/2 cups sugar1/4 cup butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
Topping
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup flour
2 1/2 Tbsp melted butter
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans
Mix all ingredients with electric mixer and pour into 2-quart greased casserole dish. Then mix together the topping ingredients and spread over sweet potatoes. Bake uncovered at 350˚F for 30-35 minutes.