Helen Corbitt’s Cheese Soup

Cheri Clotiaux Stringer (originally from 1886 Room at the Driskill Hotel in Austin, Texas)
8 servings


For many years, I welcomed weary Thanksgiving travelers with this soup. It’s perfect cooler-month comfort food. For the cheese, I’ve always used Old English processed cheese. —Pam Clotiaux Howard (Dec 1996)

Helen Corbitt, the creator of this recipe, was one of the most influential figures in Texas culinary history! She initially became famous as the head of Neiman-Marcus department stores restaurants and later went on to print several cookbooks. She also managed the 1886 Room (a tea room inside The Driskill Hotel in Austin, Texas), but it eventually closed. In 1969, when The Driskill was threatened with demolition, the Heritage Society of Austin rallied local citizens to save their beloved landmark. Volunteers raised more than $500,000 to hold off the wrecking ball primarily by selling $10 stocks in the newly formed non-profit Driskill Hotel Corporation. The Heritage Society also founded the 1886 Lunchroom, successfully operated for 20 years thanks to members’ own family recipes and fervent pride in the hotel. Known as “Austin’s socializing parlor,” it became the predecessor to what is now the 1886 Cafe & Bakery, which opened on July 4, 2002. The menu now lists this soup as “D” Helen Corbitt’s Cheese Soup. In my research of this recipe, I realized that the version we’ve been using is actually hotel executive chef David Bull’s adaptation of the recipe (maybe explaining the “D” in the soup name now), as he likes it a bit spicier and always uses Velveeta/processed cheese. I also realized that I have a copy (24th printing, ©1957) of Helen Corbitt’s Cookbook. She was a hoot and thought it was only fitting that I include her own comment on the recipe. —Alyson Stringer (Nov 2010)

[Originally titled “Canadian Cheese Soup”]: By far the most asked-for soup everywhere I have been is Canadian Cheese Soup. My men customers are mad about it. Where it comes from I do not know; it has been a part of my life so long it could have come with the stork. —Helen Corbitt (1957)


1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup onion, minced
1/2 cup carrots, minced
1/2 cup celery, minced
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
4 cups chicken broth, room temperature
4 cups milk, room temperature
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 lb mild Cheddar or Velveeta, grated
1 dash cayenne, or to taste
1 dash paprika, or to taste
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp white pepper, or to taste
2 tsp dried parsley



 Melt butter on medium-high heat in the pot you’re going to make the soup in; sauté onion, carrots and celery over low heat until translucent and tender. Stir in flour and cornstarch and cook until bubbly.

Gradually add chicken stock and milk, blending until smooth. Do not allow to boil at any point. Add baking soda and shredded cheese, stirring until melted and thickened.

Add cayenne and paprika. Keep soup warm over low heat or in a double boiler, if not using immediately. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Add parsley a few minutes before you serve. Garnish with paprika.