Squash Souffle
Cheri Clotiaux Stringer (originally from Southern Living)
Yield: 6 servings
My mom loves telling the story of how Cody and I abhorred the boiled squash she would cook when we were growing up. Cody and I would sit and stare at it until Mom and Dad left the table, then stuff as much of it as we could in our mouths, then run gagging to bathroom to flush it down the toilet! It was the texture we couldn’t stomach. Mom started making this soufflĂ© when I was in middle school and lo and behold Cody and I both LOVED it — we’ve been eating squash ever since — even sans soufflĂ©! —Alyson Stringer (Dec 1996)
1 lb yellow squash, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
2 cups round buttery cracker crumbs, divided
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Cook squash and onion in boiling water to cover 5 minutes or until tender; drain and mash.
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Add butter, 1 3/4 cups cheese, 1 3/4 cups cracker crumbs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in eggs. Spoon mixture into a lightly-greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and cracker crumbs.
Bake for 45 minutes at 350˚F.