Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy

Kelly Jenkins Howard (originally from Sharon Selman Jenkins)


My mom, Sharon, used to make this when I was a kid. I always thought it looked so pretty in the glass dish my mom prepared it in, with the caramel color on bottom and dark chocolate on top. I made it most recently for a Renaissance Club luncheon … not exactly typical luncheon food, but I'm not your typical luncheon gal! I make it now and use creamy peanut butter because I don’t like crunchy. It is very rich, so bite-sized pieces are best. (Nov 2010)

Layer 1
1 1/2 cups crunchy peanut butter
2 cups butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 (1-lb) boxes (or 10 cups) powdered sugar

Layer 2
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp milk
4 Tbsp cocoa
1 (1-lb) box (or 4 cups) powdered sugar

Layer 1: Melt peanut butter and butter, stirring over low to med heat. Remove from heat, add vanilla and sugar. In a 9x13-inch glass pyrex dish (sprayed lightly with cooking spray), pour peanut butter mix into dish and spread out with fingers or a wooden spoon. Let cool. 

Layer 2: Combine butter, milk, cocoa and cook over medium heat until butter is melted, not boiling. Remove from heat, add powdered sugar and mix. Pour icing over peanut butter mixture and let cool. Slice into squares.