Heavenly Divinity

Alyson Stringer Steakley (originally from Margaret McCoy Sargent)
Yield: 24-30 pieces

I have childhood memories of sneaking these clouds of sweetness at my paternal grandmother’s house every Christmas. I don’t have Middie’s recipe, but one of Stephen’s cousins has a neighbor, Vermell Boucher, who makes spectacular divinity, so I’ve included hers. (Nov 2010)

2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup (Karo)
1/2 cup water
2 egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Combine sugar, syrup and water in large, heavy sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Continue to cook over low heat until a hard ball stage (265˚F).

Using a candy thermometer is recommended. In a separate large bowl, put the egg whites and salt. Beat with mixer until egg whites are stiff, but still moist. Slowly pour syrup mixture over egg whites, stirring until mixture thickens. Add vanilla and pecans. Beat by hand until mixture holds its shape. 

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. Cool until firm. Store in air-tight container.