Hootchy Koo Trout

Reagan Clotiaux

Several years ago a friend introduced me to saltwater fishing. Up until then, I simply resisted the notion that saltwater fishing could be better than catching big bass here in East Texas. He told me, “Once you catch fish from the saltwater, you’re gonna spit on freshwater fishing.” The first time I caught a hard fightin’ redfish and bullet-fast speckle trout, I knew my friend wasn’t full of #*@*. Funny how life is … here I was living most of my life within 15 minutes of saltwater fishing, busting my butt to get to Lake Sam or Toledo Bend every weekend to fish. Now I live within 15 minutes of the lakes, busting my butt to get to the coast every chance I get! Anyway, this is not a real fancy recipe, simple and really good. It’s great for when you’ve gone fishing that day, had good trip, caught some fish, you’re all kinda tired and sun burned, and you cook this up. Then after dinner and several beers a little hootchy koo. There is a God!

Speckle Trout Filets, as many as you think you and your guest can eat, then add 2 extra
Tony Chachere’s® Creole Seasoning
Garlic Powder
Pepper
Parsley
Lemon-infused olive oil 

Prep the trout filets by rinsing with water, then removing as much excess water as possible with paper towels.

Sprinkle filets lightly with Tony’s seasoning, both sides, and rub the seasoning into the filets with your hands.

Place filets on plate, sprinkle garlic powder, pepper, and parsley on filets to taste (not too much, not too little).

Use a non-stick pan, and put just enough olive oil to lightly coat the the bottom. Use stove top on medium to medium-high to cook filets ’til done (approximately 3-4 minutes per side, depending on how big of fish you caught).

Serve with green beans and a tossed salad, and of course a cold Corona beer.