Jack Daniel's Cake

Alyson Stringer Steakley (originally from Mary Eubanks Voss)
Yield: 10 servings


I know we have some Jack Daniels’ fans in the family, so I thought this was a fitting addition to the Clotiaux Cookbook, although I’m sure Grandma Clotiaux won’t appreciate it one bit. I got this recipe from one of Stephen’s extended family members that still live on the farm his family first settled over 100 years ago in Lampasas, Texas. This cake has an unusual and yummy flavor! (Nov 2010)

1 (18.25oz) box yellow cake mix
1 (3.4oz) box instant vanilla pudding
5 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Jack Daniel's whiskey
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1 (11oz) bag butterscotch morsels
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Mix together the cake and pudding mixes. Add eggs, milk, whiskey and butter. Beat together well. Stir in the butterscotch morsels and nuts, reserving 1/2 cup of each. 

Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x13-inch pan. Sprinkle with the remaining morsels and nuts. 

Bake for 45–60 minutes. Cool before slicing.