Luby's Mac and Cheese
Kelly Smith Howard
Yield: 1 (9x13-inch) pan
I started making this for our Thanksgiving gathering in 2008, but I’ve actually been making this since 2002. Everyone loves this recipe and I know because I always get requests to bring this to gatherings! This also made an appearance in the all-cheese cookbook that family and friends assembled as a wedding gift to Micah and I in 2003. It’s really all about the cheese — the better American cheese you use, the better it turns out. (Nov 2010)
2 cups dry elbow macaroni
2 Tbsp nonfat dry milk
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup boiling water
3 cups (12oz) American cheese,* shredded
1/4 tsp salt**
3 cups (12oz) American cheese,* shredded
1/4 tsp salt**
Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.
Heat oven to 350˚F.
In large bowl, mix dry milk, flour and butter. Gradually add boiling water, beating constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and continue heating until smooth and creamy — sometimes I nuke it in the microwave. Stir in noodles, 1 cup of the remaining cheese and salt. (I normally don’t put the salt in and season it with Tony Chachere’s and pepper instead.) Transfer to lightly greased 2-quart baking dish. Cover with foil.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Remove foil. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Continue baking 1 minute or until cheese melts.
*I use Kraft® American cheese in the blue package by Velveeta and I use the whole block which is more than 12 ounces.
**I use a 1/4 tsp Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning in place of the salt and I add some black pepper to the cheese sauce.
**I use a 1/4 tsp Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning in place of the salt and I add some black pepper to the cheese sauce.