Quiche Lorraine
Pam Clotiaux Howard (originally from Yolanda Evon Fontenot Smith)
Yield: 6-8 servings
I served this for dinner and breakfast at our 2010 Clotiaux WOW at Lake Conroe and it was a big hit! Don’t be afraid to add vegetables for variety — I threw in fresh baby spinach for the WOW quiches. I’ve also used fresh asparagus with great results. Note: the WOW quiches contained 1/2 tsp dry mustard rather than the recipe’s requested 1/4 tsp. (Oct 2010)
1 (9-inch) unbaked pastry shell*
8 slices of bacon, cooked, crumbled**
1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
3 eggs, beaten***
1 cup half&half
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper
Bake shell only at 450˚F for 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle crumbled bacon and 1 cup cheese into shell. (I put the full 1 1/2 cups of cheese in here.)
Blend eggs, cream, milk, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne.
Pour egg mixture over bacon and cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of egg mixture and dot with butter.
Bake at 375˚F for 30-45 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes before serving.
*I use the Pillsbury box pastry to save time.
**I use pre-cooked bacon for faster prep and less fat
***Since our fresh eggs are smaller, I use 4.
NOTE: If making ahead, bake for 30 minutes, then refrigerate. then re-reheat before serving.