Texas Caviar I

Alyson Stringer
Yield: 6 salad servings or party dip

 The legendary Texas cook Helen Corbitt developed this simple, delicious black-eyed pea salad in Austin in 1940 because in her words, “I didn’t like those peas cooked in the ’Hoppin’ John’ manner, so I turned them out pickled.” She initially became famous as the head of Neiman-Marcus department stores’ restaurants and later went on to print several cookbooks. She also developed the Cheese Soup my aunt, Pam Clotiaux Howard, became known amongst our family for making. (Nov 2010)


2 (15oz) cans black-eyed peas, drained, rinsed
1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, finely chopped
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 


Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

As an appetizer … serve with corn chips or crackers. As a salad … serve on top of lettuce leaves.