Beach Shrimp
Cheri Stringer (originally from Margaret McCoy Sargent/Southern Living)
Yield: 6-8 Servings
I originally planned to make this during a trip to Port Aransas with Faith and Reagan, but we ended up eating a huge redfish Faith caught instead. A week later, I made it at home and it’s definitely worthy of cookbook submission!
I used extra garlic and I recommend using a good quality Italian dressing — I used Newman’s Family Italian with olive oil. Don’t add salt though — most Italian dressings are already salty and when it cooks down, even saltier! (Nov 2010)
I used extra garlic and I recommend using a good quality Italian dressing — I used Newman’s Family Italian with olive oil. Don’t add salt though — most Italian dressings are already salty and when it cooks down, even saltier! (Nov 2010)
3 lb unpeeled, large raw shrimp
1 (16oz) bottle Italian dressing
1 1/2 Tbsp freshly ground pepper
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 lemons, halved
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 cup butter, in 1/2-inch cubes
French bread, for serving (Margaret’s tip)
Preheat oven to 375ºF
Place shrimp, Italian dressing, ground pepper and garlic cloves in a 9x13-inch disposable aluminum baking dish, tossing to coat shrimp well.
Squeeze juice from lemons over the shrimp mixture and stir well. Add lemon halves to pan. Sprinkle evenly with parsley; dot with butter.
Bake for 25 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Serve in the pan and throw it away after you’ve sopped all the wonderful sauce.